We are one of the fastest growing economies in the world today; ironically, we also shoulder one of the largest populations of the visually impaired. There are almost 52 million visually impaired people and 270,000 blind children in India. Thatâ€™s almost one-fourth the worldâ€™s blind population living in India. For the more academically oriented, as some economist pointed out, this could mean a cumulative loss of over $ 11.1 billion to our GNP! It is this kind of a grave situation that made the government initiate a first of its kind, dedicated program for the eradication of unnecessary blindness. However, even such programs are meager when compared to the magnitude of the problem.
According to Indian council of Medical Research (ICMR) study on blindness show that about 25% of the total blind in India are blind due to corneal blindness. we require really a large number of people to donate their eyes if we want to treat these patients.There is a huge gap between the supply and demand of eyes â€“ supply being 10% of demand! And in a country like India this gap is ever increasing.
- Anyone can donate eyes
- Even if you have undergone any eye surgery
- Poor eyesight does not come in way of eye donation
- Doesnâ€™t matter if you wear glasses
- Diabetic can also donate eyes
- Age is not a factor for eye donation
- This is a donation of our eyes after death so that it can give light to a blind personâ€™ life
- Eye donations are used for cornea transplants. The cornea is the clear outer covering of the eye. Through injury or disease it can become cloudy, causing blindness. But doctors can transplant a donated human cornea and restore the sight.
- Eyes of a donated person will go to two different corneal blind individuals so through our eyes two persons will get to see this world
- The Cornea helps to focus and transmit light as it passes to the lens and on to the retina at the back of the eye
- Eye donation can be pledged by calling toll free 1919 from any landline or mobile
- Phone will go to the nearest eye bank
- Eye donation can also be pledged in any eye bank
- Eye donation can also be pledged online through this website
- Eye donation can be pledged at any age
- Donation is only applicable after death
- Cornea transplant can take place within 4 to 6 hours after death of donor
- There is no substitute for human tissue of a damaged cornea
- The transplantation process depends upon the priceless gift of cornea donation (eye donation)
- The use of artificial tissue for transplantation has been unsuccessful
- Eye retrieval does not cause disfigurement
- Religions favour eye donation
- The identities of both the donor and the recipient are kept confidential
- Close the eyelids of the deceased
- Switch off the fan
- Raise the head of the deceased slightly by placing a pillow underneath
- Contact the nearest eye bank as quickly as possible. CALL â€“ 1919
- Give the correct address with specific landmarks and telephone number to enable the eye bank team locate the place easily
- If the death certificate from the physician is available, keep it ready
- Eye donation can be done only with the written consent of the next of kin in the presence of two witnesses
Click [download id=”6″] to download presentation on eye donation.